Yesterday while clearing out the freezer I found some ripe bananas and I had a brilliant idea, banana bread! I haven’t been baking a whole lot lately, more focusing on healthy whole meals. Baking can be tricky because many desserts are full of artificial sugars. And I prefer not to eat very sweet baked treats, and I don’t like to give my kids artificial sugar treats.
I re-invented my mom’s traditional banana bread recipe by using maple syrup and whole wheat flour. Although maple syrup is a sugar, it’s natural. Maple syrup is less processed and contains some minerals, vitamins and antioxidants. White sugar contains none because of the method it’s processed. Although we don’t need a large amount of sugar in our diet, if I’m going to have some I’m aiming for a natural sugar.
This recipe really has a subtle sweetness with a a whole lot of banana flavour! The coconut oil helps make this loaf moist, while providing healthy fats. Some of the ingredients I listed below, I did give alternative substitutes.
Like I said above I used maple syrup, but you can use honey if you prefer. You whisk the sugar with the coconut oil. Now if you don’t have coconut oil in your cupboard, you can use extra virgin olive oil. Next whisk in the eggs and milk thoroughly. Whisk in the rest of the ingredients minus the flour. I do a quick whisk because I like bigger banana chunks throughout the loaf.
When you add the flour, just mix it with a spoon till the are no large lumps. You don’t want to over mix because it will make your bread tough.
Place in a greased dark loaf pan, and to make this bread fancy. I sprinkle cinnamon on top and cut through with a knife to make a design. My husband even noticed the design last night, big win. Or you can add chopped nuts into the batter. Add them after the flour, I would bake for an extra 5 minutes.
Pair this with a warm cup of coffee or my favourite, unsweetened vanilla almond milk.
See recipe below, enjoy!
Banana Bread Recipe
- 1/3 cup of coconut oil (you can use EVOO)
- 1/2 cup maple syrup or honey
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup of mashed bananas (roughly 2 large bananas)
- 1/4 cup almond milk (you can use cows milk or water)
- 1tsp of vanilla extract
- 1/2tsp of cinnamon, save a little extra for later
- 1/2 two of salt
- 1 tsp of baking soda (NOT baking powder)
- 1 3/4 cup of whole wheat flour (you can substitute for all-purpose)
- Preheat oven to 325, grease a dark loaf pan and set aside.
- Whisk oil, maple syrup in a bowl.
- Whisk in eggs, milk and mashed bananas.
- Whisk in cinnamon, salt, baking soda and vanilla extract, just a quick whisk. Don’t need to thoroughly mix at this point.
- Add in flour, and mix with a spoon till there are no large lumps lefts.
- Add into loaf pan, sprinkle extra cinnamon on top and swirl with a knife to make a pattern if you would like.
- Bake for 55 minutes, poke to check. Cool for 15 minutes in the pan, then remove to finish cooling.
*** Be cautious when checking the loaf, I like to leave big chunks of banana through the batter and sometimes it looks like raw batter on the skewer***