Today was Isla’s swimming lesson and think I made another water baby! She loves the water just as much as Lily. More than Lily did at eight months old, because she lets me dunk her under the water. With no tears afterwards either! Makes me so proud of her! Can’t wait for when our girls are older, swimming together at the beach. Lily is in desperate need of a swimming buddy, because as she says, Mom just isn’t cutting it.
On swimming lesson days, Lily goes to daycare. I get two days a week where I am a Mom to one child for a few hours. When Lily was a baby, I remember thinking how hard it was. When you have two children, and only have to supervise one for a bit, it’s a breeze! So on days with just Isla I like to get a head start on dinner, and do a bit more meal prep for the week.
Lately I have been experimenting with lentils, finding new ways to add them into my diet. Lentils are a food everyone should consume on a weekly basis. Packed with healthy fibre and protein, it also helps boost your metabolism, improve digestion and it’s high in folic acid. A must eat food for pregnant women!
And I recently learned that both my kids love lentils. But why wouldn’t they, lentils don’t have a bold flavour and have a similar texture to noodles. It’s just their colour that can throw people off. It’s what made me never try them growing up.
I finally perfected this lentil recipe which includes one of my favourite vegetables. Roasted cauliflower! Whenever I make cauliflower rice, I always roast it to bring out its nutty flavour. It makes any dish that much better. It’s worth the extra prep work and time, trust me.
In my recipe I write down canned lentils. You can buy dry lentils, which I find is usually cheaper. All you have to do is soak them in water for a few hours to hydrate them. If you want less work, buy canned.
Roasted Cauliflower Rice + Lentils
- 1 head of cauliflower
- 1 can of unsalted lentils
- 1 cup finely chopped white mushrooms
- 1 cup white onion finely chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 3 tbsp of EVOO or coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Pulse cauliflower in food processor to make the cauliflower rice. I don’t bother drying the cauliflower before because it’s dried out while roasting.
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Spread cauliflower onto baking pan and roast for 10 minutes till golden brown.
- Add onion, mushroom and EVOO to a pan. Sautés for 5 minutes till mushrooms are tender.
- Add garlic, sautés for 2 minutes.
- Drain and rinse your lentils, then add them to the pan.
- Add salt and pepper. Cook for 10 minutes.
- Add roasted cauliflower rice, and mix together. Turn off heat and voila!
A super easy dish that your whole family will love. Honestly, my eight month old devours this every time.
Occasionally I add a lot more vegetables to make it a big stir fry, but I love it this way with a nice roasted chicken breast and spinach salad.
Hope you enjoy! Thanks for reading,