Not a super early wake up in this house, as per the usual. Five o’clock, yes is not early in our house. Thanks time change, but I think we are getting there. I’ve been noticing with the early wakings my toddler is extra hungry mid-morning. So I’ve been trying to stock up our house with foods that will help fill her. One of the main items that I must have in our house is muffins! If there isn’t muffins, my toddler is quite upset. I guess I have set the bar high.
These healthy, yes healthy oatmeal banana muffins are my favourite recipe and kid approved. They are made solely of oats, no flour. They are sweetened with honey, and lactose free by using almond milk.
How are they made of only oats? Instead of using flour, you ground up the oats into a flour. They make the muffin fluffy and add in extra nutrients compared to flour. Want to know an amazing trick to make these muffins taste even yummier? Are you sure? ROAST THEM! If you have the time I highly recommend roasting the oats till they are golden brown. It helps add a nutty flavour to the muffin.
All you have to do is heat the oven to 325, place all the oats on a baking sheet. Roast for 4-6 minutes till golden brown, stirring once. Now if you don’t have time to do this, don’t feel like you aren’t a good baker. These muffins will still taste delicious.
Healthy Oatmeal Banana Muffins
Prep: 20 Minutes
Cook time: 20-25 Minutes
Yields: 12 Muffins
- 2.5 cups of Roasted Oats
- 2-3 Large ripe Bananas
- 2 Large eggs lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup of honey
- 3/4 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
Preheat oven to 350.
- Place 1.5 cups of oats in a food processor, pulse till flour like consistency.
- Whisk bananas till smooth, no chunks.
- Add eggs, almond milk and honey to bananas.
- Add in all dry ingredients, including ground oats and whole oats. Mix to combine. Leave the oats for 10 minutes. This will help the oats absorb the liquid, and you will notice your batter thickens.
- Place muffins in the tins, and bake in a 350 degree oven for 20-25 minutes. Use a toothpick to check.
A delicious muffin recipe that won’t leave you feeling guilty for indulging. You can make them even better by adding in a mix-in. Blueberries, raspberries or nuts.
Now it’s time for another coffee! Thanks for reading,