I’ve been wanting to add more flavours to our weekly meals , that are not only super delicious but healthy as well. What is hard for me is that I am not a condiment person. Sauces and oils you can buy at the store usually contain high amounts of sugar and preservatives. So I like to make all my own flavours in my kitchen.
One of my favourite side dishes to add to almost any meal is a red cabbage coleslaw. This recipe creates a dish that is packed with a delicious tangy taste that freshens your palate, and adds a ton of flavour to any meal. Its great with heavy meals, such as Teriyaki meatballs (It’s what we are having for dinner tonight). I sometimes like to eat this on its own with some avocado because it is that good. What is great about this recipe is that you can make it ahead of time, and it keeps for a few days in the fridge. In my opinion the longer it sits, the better flavour it has. So when I have time in the morning I will quickly make it, then let it sit till dinner time. It’s not a big deal if you leave it for later as long as it has 30 minutes to chill in the fridge. This recipe isn’t just delicious and easy, its HEALTHY.
How many of you have walked right pass red cabbage in the store, and didn’t even notice it? Well you should notice it. Red cabbage in my opinion is a superfood. A superfood meaning, it contains many nutrients, vitamins and minerals that are great for our bodies. Red cabbage contains
- Vitamin C – Great for boosting our immune system.
- Fibre – We all know fibre is great for our gut health.
- Antioxidants – These are great for fighting free radical damage.
- Phytonutrients – Help reduce chronic inflammation in the gut
- Vitamin K – Is required for a certain protein to maintain bone calcium
Some studies have shown that red cabbage has properties to help fight cancer. If you want more information on this nutrients click here: https://draxe.com/red-cabbage/
So… As you have just read, red cabbage is very healthy and has many benefits for our bodies. This coleslaw recipe is the main way I add red cabbage to my family’s diet. You can find it below!
Red Cabbage Coleslaw
Prep time: 60 minutes Servings: 8
- 1 5″ head red cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1 fennel bulb thinly sliced
- 2 medium celery stalks thinly sliced
- 2 medium carrots grated
- FOR THE SAUCE
- 1/2 cup unfiltered apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 tbsp. honey ( I don’t put honey in, but you can if the vinegar is too strong)
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2tsp cracked black pepper
- In a large bowl combine vinegar, oil, salt and pepper.
- Place all of the vegetables in the bowl and mix thoroughly. I use my hands to make sure everything is coated.
- Cover and refrigerate for minimum 30 minutes.
- Toss just before serving.
A delicious side dish or meal that you can make easily and ahead of time. Enjoy!
Thanks for reading,