My main focus this January is to eat healthy. But what do you do when you want a treat, but don’t want to eat junk? Easy, Phat Fudge! Sending a huge shout out to Jeenie at Keepfit Women for introducing me to this devilishly delicious, healthy treat.
You think something with the word “phat” and “fudge” wouldn’t be healthy. But I assure you they most definitely are. And I bet you won’t be able to eat just one.
I love the versatility of this recipe. One of the main ingredient is a nut butter. I prefer natural peanut butter, but you can do all sorts of other flavours, like almond butter. Using peanut butter gives it the peanut butter cup taste to it. So good!
What makes these healthy is coconut oil! And it’s gives it the smooth, melt in your mouth texture. Coconut oil has many benefits for our body, from anti-inflammatory properties and healthy fats to help our body and brain function properly. When I’m having days where I’m insatiable, one of these helps fill me and satisfy my hunger cravings.
You’re probably thinking by now that this recipe has to have sugar in it. Well it’s up to you! To help balance out the cocoa flavour you can add honey or maple syrup. But I’ve tested this recipe before without a sweetener and they still taste just as good. The only thing I will add is to reduce the amount of cocoa if you don’t add a sweetener in, because unsweetened cocoa can have a strong bitter flavour.
Have I mentioned get that these are really easy to make? You can whip them together in under an hour, and they set in the freezer quickly. All thanks to the coconut oils sensitivity to temperature. See below for the recipe!
Phat Fudge Recipe
- 1 cup of Nut butter
- 1 Cup of Coconut Oil
- 1 tsp of Vanilla Extract
- 2 tbsp of Cocoa Powder
- **optional: 1-2 tbsp of maple syrup or honey
- 12 muffin liners
- Melt coconut oil and nut butter of choice in a pot on low heat.
- Once melted, place half the mixture into the 12 muffin liners.
- Place the in the freezer to set.
- Add Cocoa Powder, Vanilla extract to the remaining melted nut butter and coconut oil. Mix well.
- Add maple syrup or honey if you prefer.
- Once the mixture has set in the freezer, remove. Pour remaining cocoa mixture on top of the frozen nut butter and coconut oil mixture.
- Place in freezer, let set completely. You want them hard.
There you go! A super easy, healthy treat or snack to help fill you at times you need a little something. Tag me in your pictures if you give this recipe a try!
Thanks for reading,