It was actually cold yesterday! Although it’s been nice having abnormal warm weather in September, I am really wanting sweater weather. So when I opened the door to check the temperature, I was jumping for joy to feel a crispness in the air.
Which led to me wanting to make a Fall meal, A.K.A Soup! I love making soups, I make one at least once a week. It’s a great way to use those vegetables about to go bad in the fridge, and have a meal packed with nutrients. Lately I have been making a couple of soups a week because we have had some sickness, and soups just help make everyone feel better.
This Sausage and Potato Soup is warming, a bit spicy and packed with flavour. Even my girls love this soup! Not to mention it’s my Husbands favourite so I make the soup regularly. And it’s actually quite simple to make.
To start you need to partially brown your ground sausage. I like to use mild Italian sausage because of its delicious flavour. You can use any sausage you like, but remember. If you buy spicy, you will have a spicy soup. And all you have to do is remove the ground meat from the casing, and there you have your ground sausage but already flavoured!
Next, vegetable time! Onion and garlic are a must, after that it’s your choice. See what you have in your fridge and go! I usually add carrots, mushroom and a bell pepper. Add as much as you like, because the more the better. You want to add in as many nutrients as you can.
To really help boost the flavour in this soup. I love to add curry paste. I go with mild because I don’t want this soup to be too spicy for my kids. But if you want hot, add more! It really brings out the flavour of the tomatoes and helps warm your chest. You can find curry paste at any grocery store.
Add in some tomato’s, or you can cheat like me and add tomato sauce. I buy a chunky sauce so you still see the pieces of tomato. And we can’t forget the broth. I use beef broth because I find beef broth really emphasizes the flavour of the mild Italian sausage. For the potatoes, I usually just use what’s in my pantry. Yellow flesh is the regular choice but I have used white and red flesh before and still had great results.
The best part of this soup is that it can be made in one hour. It does not need to be cooked for hours and hours on the stove. But you can make this ahead, and leave it in the pot. Or you can store it in your freezer for future meals.
What are you waiting for? Start cooking!
Sausage + Potato Soup
Time: 60 minutes
- 3 cups ground pork – you can use sausages and remove the meat from the casing. I like to use mild Italian sausages.
- 3 tbsp EVOO
- 1 medium Onion chopped
- 3 cloves of Garlic minced
- 4 white mushrooms sliced
- 4 medium carrots thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 1 tsp mild curry paste
- 1 jar or can of tomatoes or sauce
- 1L of Bone Broth
- 5 medium Potatoes diced
- 2 cups of chopped kale/ spinach
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Partially brown the ground sausage with EVOO in a large pot on medium to high heat.
- Place the browned sausage in a bowl, and leave off to the side.
- Using the same pot, add in all the vegetables (except the potatoes) Sauté for 10 minutes on medium heat.
- Add in curry paste and sauté for another two minutes.
- Add tomato sauce and broth. Give it a good stir and scrap the bottom (the bits are the stuff!)
- Add your potatoes and sausage. Cook on medium heat for 30-40 minutes (till potatoes are cooked)
- Add in kale, plus salt and pepper to taste.
- Allow time to cook before you serve.
There you go! A delicious, hearty Fall meal that will leave everyone wanting more. I promise!
Thanks for reading,