Less than two months till Christmas and our calendar is already filling up with events this Holiday season! Bring on the potlucks and family gatherings. I love this time of year, being able to celebrate with many people, friends and family you don’t normally see on a regular basis.
Except…I find potlucks rather daunting. I always stress about what to bring. Not knowing what everyone will like. So my rule of thumb is to make something YOU like! Trust me, if you like it that means most people will. A bonus of bringing something you love to eat means you will have something to eat. This is great if you’re a picky eater or have specific dietary restrictions.
Not being able to eat gluten or dairy is really hard for me, especially at a potluck. So many delicious dishes, that aren’t necessarily designed for my digestive system.
Instead of stressing, I bring my favourite Chicken Pesto Pasta Salad. Gluten free and packed full of flavour. Trust me, the crowd will be raving about your dish! The best part is that it is guilt free. Filled with healthy ingredients that won’t leaving you bloating by the end of the evening.
What really gives this dish the “wow” factor is the basil pesto. Basil is such a strong, vibrant flavour that pairs well with some many different options. I love adding roasted red peppers to give the dish a bit of sweetness to help the vibrant basil flavour.
I like to add a protein to make this dish filling, but you can make it vegetarian and vamp it up with some chickpeas. It’s your choice!
Let’s get cooking!
Chicken Pesto Pasta Salad
Prep: 25 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
Yields: 8-10 servings
- Three Chicken Breasts
- Salt & Pepper
- 1/2 cup Basil Pesto
- 1/3 cup EVOO
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 cup chopped Roasted Red Pepper
- 3 cups raw spinach
- 1 cup Arugula
- 4 cups cooked pasta of choice
- 1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan
- Preheat oven to 375
- Season Chicken breasts with Salt, Pepper and Oregano.
- Cook for 25 minutes till done.
- Boil noodles of choice – I usually chose multicolour and gluten free noodles.
- In a large bowl, whisk Pesto, EVOO and salt together.
- Add roasted red pepper, spinach and arugula.
- Chop the cooked chicken into little pieces, add to the bowl with HOT noodles! This will help wilt the spinach and arugula.
- Mix until everything is combined and spinach and arugula has wilted. Add more salt to taste.
You can serve this pasta salad warm or cold. Both are flavourful and tasty to enjoy!
Wondering what to bring to your next potluck? Trust me, this recipe is a winner! Be sure to tag @thejaclynyvonne in your creations!
Thanks for reading,