For the past year I have really been wanting our household to become more green. Less waste, more reusable and plant safe products. I’m not going political when it comes to global warming, but our planet is seeing changes. And I want to do our part to help the environment.
I have been trying to use as many reusable products to help reduce waste. Such as:
- Microfibre cloths to reduce paper towel
- Beeswax wrap to reduce plastic wrap
- Glass containers
- Cotton reusable bags to reduce plastic bags
- Produce bags + grocery bags
- Cloth diapers
One product I have noticed we were wasting regularly is baby wipes. So I made the change a few months ago to make reusable baby wipes at home. These are really easy to make and are very cost efficient. I did the math and realized it was cheaper for me to make my own wipes than buy a box of disposables. Yes you need to spend ten minutes making them but they are very amazing for your child’s bum.
I’ve noticed since switching we have had less diaper rash and softer buns. Also you think you will need more than one wipe, but one wipe does more cleaning than you would think. Even for those messy poops!
My main choice of cloth is baby wash clothes. Since having two kids, we have formed quite the stash. So when I make a batch of wipes I use 12 cloths, lasting me about 2-3 days. and I keep another 12 clean in our closet. So when I wash the used ones I can make another batch right away.
- Use within a couple of days: The great thing about these wipes is that there is no preservatives or harsh chemicals. But because of that you want to use them quickly so no bacteria growth happens. Castile soap and Lavender Essential oil do help prevent bacteria growth, but you still don’t want to risk it. But trust me, you will use these fast!
- Sterilize Containers: Before I make my wipes, I wash and sterilize my containers. Place in boiling water with vinegar for 5–10 minutes and air dry. Creates a clean container before you make the wipes.
Reusable Baby Wipes
- 2 Cups Warm Water
- 2 Tbsp Coconut Oil
- 1 Tbsp Castile Soap
- 8-10 drops of essential oil
- Cloths of choice
- Glass container
Simply mix all ingredients minus the cloths into a measuring cup. Mixing till the coconut oil has melted.
Place your cloths into your container. Simply add the liquid and close it with the lid. Shake around to make sure the cloths absorb the mixture.
Be sure to share your creations on social media and tag @thejaclynyvonne