We are almost a month into a self-isolation and I’m starting to feel settled. The first week felt like a vacation. Pj’s all day, no routine and complete relaxation. Once week two hit us, everyone was getting antsy about having to stay home. Our girls kept asking about going to visit people, or our regular play dates. But finally we are back into a routine and I think the girls understand that we are home for the next while, have slightly given up the persistent asking!
I’ve been trying to come up with fun new recipes for the kids to keep the meals interesting. Something new and exciting every one in a while, plus foods that freeze well. We have been buying extra groceries, and I don’t want the foods to go bad before we get around to eating them.
These puff pastries are the perfect meal! Our girls loved them. Filled with ham, cheese and spinach (had to make them a bit healthy). Now I will admit these aren’t really simple to make. You need to make the filling which is pretty much a cheese sauce. You achieve this with flour, butter and milk. Adding these together make a rich and creamy filling.
You will notice in the recipe that it calls for room temperature Milk. You can have it warmer than that, just don’t use milk cold out of the fridge. When you add it to the hot pot you will probably curdle your milk. Make sure it not cold! And it’s your choice of milk. I use 1% normally, but if you’re looking for a really creamy filling. Use a higher fat milk.
From there you add your ham of choice. You can add ham sliced off a ham or I used deli Black Forest ham. We always have lots of hand because the girls love it for sandwiches or wraps. And these pastries are perfect for when we have some ham that needs to be used.
I add spinach because it’s a great way to add good nutrients. I chop my spinach to fill the smaller size pastries. My kids aren’t huge fans of large spinach pieces. Making them smaller pieces makes it easier to fit in a whole bite for the kids. You can also switch it up and use kale!
Finally the cheese! My main choice is Swiss cheese but I have used mozzarella before. Another reason why I love these, you can add whichever cheese you need to that is going to go bad.
Prepare your puff pastry which you can find in any grocery store. Go directly to the freezer section and there it will be. I prefer to buy the pastry in rectangular sheets so I don’t have to roll it out myself. Less work and less of a mess in my kitchen.
I think it’s time you start making these!
Ham + Cheese Puff Pastries
Prep: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 20-25 minutes
Yields: 8 Pastries
- 1 Package of Puff Pastry
- 2 tbsp of Butter
- 2 tbsp of All Purpose Flour
- 2 cups of room temperature Milk
- 2 cups of chopped Spinach
- 1 cup of Cooked Ham
- 1 cup of Swiss Cheese
- Salt + Pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp of melted butter
- Preheat oven to 400
- Prepare puff pastry and cut squares 5”x 5”
- In a medium sauce pan, melt 2 tbsp of butter, then add flour. Cook for 1 minute while stirring.
- Slowly add room temperature Milk, whisk till smooth. Bring to a boil then lower to a simmer. Stir occasionally till thickened.
- Add spinach, and give it a minute to wilt.
- Mix in Ham and Swiss Cheese.
- Add pepper and salt to your desired taste.
- Spoon 2 tbsp of ham and cheese mixture into the middle of a puff pastry square. Fold the corners into the middle and gently pinch with your fingers. Place onto baking sheet. Continue with the remaining puff pastry squares.
- Melt butter and brush on to the top of the puff pastries.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown and crispy.
- Cool for 10 minutes before serving.
I hope you enjoy! Be sure to tag @thejaclynyvonne in your creations!