We are finally through the wind down from Christmas, and have completed the first birthday of the year. From Christmas till the end of March it is one big birthday party. It gets a little nuts in our house, and I find it is the craziest time of year for us.
I’m currently in restock mode when it comes to our pantry and freezer. I don’t know about you but Christmas tends to wipe out everything I had stocked.
I love having our freezer stocked with a variety of different foods and meals to make my days somewhat easier. Most of the meals I prepare for the freezer are great for crockpots. But I love having a stash of mini meatballs for a variety of different meals.
These meatballs are prefect because of their mini size, easy to eat and fun for the kids. They are versatile and can work with a variety of different meals.
- Cook the meatballs in a pan with a teriyaki sauce. Serve with rice and vegetables.
- Add them to a pasta sauce.
- Cook on their own with a side of vegetables.
Really the possibilities are endless! My kids love these because they are tasty. Also perfect for little ones and their tiny hands.
The best part of these meatballs is that you can easily freeze them. The trick is to lay them out on a pan to freeze. Once frozen, then you add them to a freezer bag or container. This ensures that the meatballs won’t stick together. So if you only need a few for lunch, you’re not having to jab at the pile of meatballs with a knife.
What makes these meatballs so delicious (I can’t believe I am giving away this secret) is to sauté the onion, garlic and spices in a pan before adding it to the ground beef. The heat vamps up the flavour, making these mini meatballs delicious!
After scrolling down and reading the ingredient list, you will notice there is not a ton of ingredients. Not fillers like bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese or egg. I find if you give the meat mixture a really good mix with your hands. And a good roll of the balls, the meatballs will keep their shape. I recommend baking on a baking sheet, this will help them keep their form.
Let’s get cooking!
- 1lb lean ground beef
- 1/3 cup minced onion
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 2 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- In a small pan, add oil, onion, salt, pepper, Italian seasoning and garlic.
- Sauté on low-medium for 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl add beef and the cooked pan mixture.
- Using your hands or a spoon throughly combine.
- Take your desired size, I usually use a Tbsp measurement to scoop out the meat. They end up being about 1 inch to 1.5 inch wide. Roll into balls.
- Place on a baking pan.
- Put in the freezer for two hours before adding to a freezer bag or container.
They are really that simple and easy! Be sure to tag @thejaclynyvonne in your creations!